Now that you have completed your models and your blog, you need to produce a written document (with screenshots) to document your use of 3D software, the techniques you have used and your overall opinions and experience of the final products.
1. Discuss the 3D modelling techniques that you used to create your final images. (Box modelling, extrusion modelling, extend, combine and/or duplicate etc. Screenshot images of where you have applied the modelling technique with a short explanation of what you did
and why you did it. What was the technique done to achieve? 2. Discuss the techniques you used to add effect to models (texture, colouring, materials). Again, screenshot what you did and discuss what it brought to the final product. Also, discuss any other effects that you used such as lighting, animations, etc. 3. Explain what you initially set out to do with your models. Have you achieved this? 4. Explain your use of the 3D software, including any problems you experienced and how you overcame them. What would you do differently if you completed the work again? 5. Offer some critical reflection on the overall product. Have you met the requirements of the assignment brief? (Survival, PEGI 16).
GIVE SPECIFIC EXAMPLES FOR HIGHER MARKS
Tab Key -
The tab key, located on the left of the Q key on a Qwerty Keyboard, lets you switch between Edit and Object mode.
Ctrl + Tab Key Combination -
By pressing the Ctrl key and Tab key at the same time while in Edit mode you are given a little menu that allows you to quickly the Mesh Selection, aka if you can select the vertices, edges or faces.
5 NumPad Key -
By pressing the 5 button on the NumPad you can change the camera's perspective, this allows for much smoother and more hands-on camera control.K for Knife Tool -
By pressing the K button while in edit more you can use the knife tool, this tool creates edges onto a face, by holding Ctrl you can centre it right in the middle of an edge for a clean cut. This is one of the most useful tools in my opinion, not only does it split the shape however you wish but it allows for extra details you can personally create.
Shift + D Duplicate -
By pressing Shift + D while holding a selection you can duplicate it as seen in the example. I used this technique/tool in my crow model's legs, if you look closely you can see that the toes/fingers of the crow are the same- this is because I modeled one finger, duplicated it, rotated it and finally attached it to the leg. This was much easier than modeling the fingers all over again, it saved me alot of time and energy.
How I Model (Part 1) -
I start by getting a picture of an object I want to recreate in 3D, this picture will give us a basic starting shape for our models so dont worry too much about getting something accurate to what you want. For this example I'm using a house. By pressing the N key a side menu will open, scrolling down will reveal a label called "Background Images", opening it will reveal an "Add Image" button. Simply press it and then open your desired image, this will come in later.
How I Model (Part 2) -
Delete your cube and replace it with a plane shape, plane shapes are much easier to work with (especially with this method, you should then rotate it by 90 degrees, if you dont do this then your model would be lying on the ground instead of standing up. Press 5 to go into Isometric (If you aren't already) then press 1. You should now see the house image behind the plane. Go into edit mode and switch to vertices.
Right clicking on any points (vertices) allows you to select them, holding Ctrl allows you to select more than one, do this and then press the "E" key, this will extend the selection you have, by pressing and holding right click over a point you can drag it around, use these abilities to cover the entire house as seen in the pictures. Now, go back into standard camera with the 5 key and examine your work. Select all the faces with the "A" key and extrude one final time. turn the camera to face the other side, select all the faces there and delete them, this should give you a "Shell" like shape, with the model having a large hole where one of its walls should be.
Go into the modifiers tab (represented by a little wrench) and press the Add Modifier button, from there select the "Mirror" modifier. Decelect the X and select the Y Axis, this should make your house mirrored correctly. Push the faces around until you create the desirable shape of the house. Keep in mind that the mirror side cannot be edited- it mirrors your model, any changes you make to one side would show on the other.
How I Model (Part 5) -
Go back into edit mode, if you press Ctrl + R you can split the house further, this allows you to add extra detail, do this where necessary/desired.Now its time to texture the house, click the "Blender Render" tab on the top of the page and change it to "Cycles Render". Now change the "Method of Display" to "Material".
How I Model (Part 6) -
Press the "Material" Tab and press the "New" button. Now let's grab some images from google, these will serve as our model's textures. For this house I'll use some roof shingles, some bricks white paint texture and several others. Now that we've gotten our textures, let's turn our attention back to our model, press the + symbol to add another material, then press the "New" button like before, we do this because blender automatically applies the first material to the model without asking, if we use this material for (lets say) the roof then the entire model would become the roof texture. Press the little dot next to the "Color" tab and then press "Image Texture"- now select the first texture you want to use, the model should not have changed yet.
Ctrl + Tab, select the "Face" button and start to select every face that you want to texture, for example I will select the roof faces as seen in the images. After this is done and while these faces are selected you need to press the "Assign" button, the model should STILL not change, this is intentional- no need to panic. Drag the bottom menu up as shown in the picture, then you should press the "Current Editor Type" button in the bottom left corner and select the "UV/Image Editor" button.
How I Model (Part 8) -
Press the "Open" button and select the same image you did for your material, the image should show up below, get used to doing this as you'll do it for every texture. Now press the U key while your mouse is on the model, a menu should pop up called "UV Mapping", press the "Unwrap" key. The texture should finally display into the model, by pressing the "T" key over the texture on the bottom a little menu named "Transform" should pop up, use its tools to rotate the texture as you please.
How I Model (Part 9) -
That's about it! Just keep adding textures, editing your model and adjusting its surface properties until you're happy with the result, here is the finished house model! I rushed it slightly so the model lacks details like modeled doors and windows but the basic concept is there.
What I Set Out To Do With My Models -
Backpack-
The backpack was originally a singular, sloppy bag model I made in an hour, that model was what inspired me to create a more detailed version, I did the sketch of the bag, added extra parts (little side satchels and large chest on top) and eventually made the final model, at first I wasnt going to add any extra bags, I was planing on just refining the original model and calling it a day but I decided against that idea.
Medkit-
This was originally supposed to be a chest like mechanic with plenty of medication such as potions, bandages and medical herbs, it was supposed to have an animation of it popping open to reveal its contents, the chest was originally made out of wooden planks and didn't have any gold elements (like the rim and handle) but as time went on the gold was added to bring some variety to the materials.
Plague Doctor Crow-
I set out to create a detailed model of a crow wearing a plague doctor mask, I wanted the mask look separate from the crow, the mask was supposed to look like leather and be a slimy type of shiny while the crow's feathers looked dull and un-reflective.
Goat-
I had more grand ideas for this model, it wasn't supposed to be so flat and low-polygon but instead a creature you could find in the wild, create a farm with and butcher it for food, this idea of murdering an innocent creature didn't feel right- it didn't fit into the family friendly world I was planning. Due to this I decided on making the model a background element.
Ring of Necromancy-
This model was originally a standard silver ring that just had an eyeball attached to it, because of my lack of abilities when it comes to 3D modelling I was unable to create the veiny look seen on the sketches and had to work around it.
Moon Staff-
The Moon Staff didn't change much from sketch to 3D model, the only thing that was added was the texturing and material decisions, the star inside the moon was never supposed to be a crystal but after accidentally selecting the option it stuck with me, the main marble texture was originally a cool metallic colour but was changed for marble due to aesthetic taste.
Problems I Faced And How I Overcame Them + What I Would Do Differently -
Backpack-
This was the first model I used UV mapping on, I had no idea what I was doing and how to display the texture correctly, I didn't know about the "UV/Image Editor" so I was stuck with the "Smart UV Project" which did not map the texture how I wanted it, I was eventually able to correctly UV map after watching some youtube videos and doing some research.
MedKit-
This model was the one that taught me about "Normals", a normal is the way a face is pointing, in blender you can see both sides of a face but when put into something like blender it glitches and looks unfinished, to get around this problem i used the Ctrl + N shortcut to flip the around as necessary.
Plague Doctor Crow-
While modelling the feet of the crow I was faced with a problem, I needed to create 3 separate toes that all looked similar, I struggled with this until I discovered the duplicate shortcut, by using Shift + D, I was able to clone a finger and make the feet look correct without much effort.
Goat-
This goat was my first attempt at correct anatomy, I wanted it to look correct while also not being too detailed, I was able to create an anatomically correct mesh by using the background image tool along with pictures of goats t correctly move and adjust the model.
Ring of Necromancy-
I wanted to have veins coming out of the eye, because I wasn't able to do this I went with a different direction, I made a thick layer of rotting meat that surround the ring, it fuses with the eyeball and gives it an odd and vile feeling.
Moon Staff-
The largest problem I faced with this model was the moon shape, due to the way it twisted I had to manually cut out the centre line for extension, I was able to get the line curving correctly by using the background image tool again, this time with a photoshopped picture of the moon's proportions.









































No comments:
Post a Comment