This was a sketch for enchanted jewellery, I wanted to have special magical items that all had different effects, the page is split into two parts, in the left are the rings and on the right are the necklaces. I planned out 4 different rings, top left we have the "Ring of Steamwork" a ring that a player can wear whenever they plan on building steam-work contraptions like garden waterers or basic item transporters. Top right is "Poseidon's Ring", a ring inspired by underwater life that gives you a boost to the amount of time you can spend underwater. Bottom left is the "Dance of Necromancy", a ring that stops undead creatures (like ghouls or wraiths) from attacking you. The final ring is the "Dragon Vertebrae", constructed from the bones of a dragon it gives you a special ability whenever worn, the more damage you take the larger damage boost you receive. Moving on the the two pendants we have the "Oracle's Sapling" which increases your characters regeneration by 10% meaning you can jump back into action quicker. Last but not least we have "A Cruel King's Wrath" a necklace for the aggressive player who would rather slay villages instead of befriending them, it gives a massive boost to the amount of money dropped by NPCs.
I've chosen the "Dance of Necromancy" to 3D model, I really enjoy the idea such a mystical and dark idea such as disguising yourself into a ghoul by becoming a part of them, I would also enjoy the practical work that would be put into it, with the veins and the large eye popping out of an otherwise normal/generic ring.
On the top of this page I've made a little mind map to help myself create unique ideas, the words that I decided to use and made it into a design where "Moon", "Heal", "Soul" and "Life". The bottom of the page is reserved for the 4 magical staffs, in the top left corner is the "Heal" Staff, it is based on an unbloomed rose, with the bud glowing a warm and pleasant light whenever healing, it can only be used in a sunny location. In the top right corner we have the "Soul" Staff, a staff/scythe combo that can be used as a melee weapon, when the player deals physical damage to an enemy the weapon reaps its health and mana, giving a percentage of it to the player. In the bottom left we have the "Moon" Staff, a staff that gives the player a boost to their defence and magic stats during the night. Finally theres the "Life" Staff, this mushroom-esque staff absorbs any water based attacks with its shield like mushroom head and uses them to heal the player.
I've decided to create the "Moon" Staff because I enjoy its asthetical value. The way it floats and hovers seems so pleasant and I would enjoy creating that in a 3D environment, I already have plans for how I want it to look.
On this one I planned out some ideas for friendly characters and such, I started out by writing down some animals and mythological creatures I could base the NPCs off. From the mind map I picked 3 creatures to develop further, theres the turtle guard, a character that hangs around the towns and defends them against enemies (or you if you've attacked a peaceful NPC), their designs are based on a turtle with its normal shell turned into large, heavy armour. In the top right theres the plague doctor "Crow", this crow will approach a wounded player when they're lost or stranded away from home, the crow will sell the player healing items like potions or first-aid kits for an expensive but affordable price. As stated previously their design is inspired by the plague doctors, inexperienced people pretending to be doctors during the black death, scamming people out of their money in return for untested and useless "cures". The final design is the "Lion", this NPC is a mercenary you can hire, they would follow you around and attack hostiles for you. They're tanks, being able to take a lot of damage while allowing for the player to finish the enemy off from afar.
The idea of a plague crow fascinates me and thus I have chosen to further that design in particular. The mask over he crow seems like it would be great for experimentation with materials and the glossy option.
This page shows off my backpack designs, on the top I brainstormed some ideas based on loose words like "modern", "magic", "bulky" or "stylized". I combined some of the packs to create a cross-species version. I finally decided on making the "Medieval" backpack, I sketched it out and did the side of it, altering some of the elements seen on the backpack like the main button and the bulkiness of the side-bags.
The reason I decided on that backpack in particular is simple and to the point, It was based on medieval backpacks, the medieval backpack was large and bulky because of the amount of things needed for transport, compasses, large and bulky maps and fresh changes of clothes all needed to be placed somewhere and since they all took up so much space more bags needed to be added.
This large paper was the one I used for my MedKit Design, on the left I drew up a generic, modern MedKit and listed everything you'd find in it, things like "Cotton", "Rubbing Alcohol", "Tweezers", "Thermometer" and many others. From there I decided on mapping out a symbol for a medkit that was not the generic red plus sign you see everywhere, some of the ideas I tried were sun, flower, symbolic and mythological motifs. After some scribing I decided on the design seen in pencil, it was a combination of the galaxy swirl and the angelic wing, the design is supposed to represent a sapling, with the leaves being the top 3 strokes and the seed the bottom swirl. I decided on the sapling theme as it made sense a symbol of health would be linked with new growth. For the fantasy redesign I started by basing them off generic shapes such as cubes, cylinders and spheres. From there I developed the chests until I had several different looks, I decided on the cylinder chest and developed it further with railings and insides (medieval version of item list).
I decided on the cylinder because I thought it wasnt a shape usually used for chests, I liked the way it clipped open and decided on turning it into a defined shape with the final sketch, I really like the way it looks and plan to develop it further during the transition from 2D to 3D.





No comments:
Post a Comment